Stairs, Eggs and Burpees, Oh My!

Let’s go backwards:

Today was Death Race Workout Sunday. Ricky told me of his evil plan mid-week and it consisted of this:

Task 1: Carry a tire up and down the steps of Doak Campbell Stadium for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Task 2: Eat a dozen hard-boiled eggs each.

Task 3: Repeat tire-carrying stadium stairs for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Task 4: Do a lap of burpees at the track.

Note #1 – When I asked Ricky if we were going to have to eat the eggs in a certain amount of time, he came back with 5 minutes. I contested that I was not going to be able to eat 12 hard-boiled eggs in 5 minutes. I argued that I needed at least 1 minute per egg. He compromised with 8 minutes. It was negotiated that we would have to eat a few yolks, but it would be optional for the majority of the eggs.

Why the eggs? Last year, Death Racers had to carry 10lbs of onions with them. When they met the Onion King, they had to chop up all the onions and save and eat 1lb of them.

Note #2 – When I asked Ricky how many burpees it takes to get around the track, he said about 200-300. I’m pretty sure that I’ve never done that many push-ups in my life. (Burpee = Start in standing position. Drop down like you’re doing a squat, end with your hands in front of your feet. Kick your legs back until you are in plank position. Do a push-up. Jump your legs in towards your hands. Jump in air and return to original position.)

It was drizzly when we arrived at the stadium and misty until we got to the bleachers. After that, it was overcast but not rainy. My knees had been bothering me since Thursday, but the first hour and 10 mins went by without incident. Task 1: complete.

Then the eggs came out. I’m pretty sure I was laughing hysterically for most of the egg eating because it just seemed so absurd and impossible. Ricky quickly found out that it was going to take a lot longer than 8 minutes to get down a dozen of these bad boys. After our first whole egg, we agreed that the rest could be yolk free. They were the pre-boiled store bought variety and were all around awful to eat. They were rubbery in texture, very cold and didn’t have a very appetizing taste since we were sans salt and pepper. Laurel stopped by for our Death Race Brunch and took some pictures and video. I had the egg-eating lead for a while but almost had an unwanted encore of my food at Eggs #7 and #11. It started getting hard around the 3rd egg and I honestly didn’t think I was going to be able to get them all down. But down they went. Ricky did finish first and we completed Task #2 in about 31 minutes.

We both thought that our next hour of stadium stairs was going to be very unpleasant with 12 unwanted eggs floating in our stomachs. Ricky wanted to get the unpleasantness over with and sprinted a couple of rounds. I went slow and steady but carried a barf bag tucked into my shorts. After the 2nd or 3rd round, we met up (Ricky was going down and I was going up) and agreed that it actually wasn’t bad. The rest of the hour and 10 minutes progressed without any reappearance of egg.

We then packed up and headed over to the Mike Long Track for Task #4. This is the way it was going to work: Do a burpee, take a step and repeat. All the way around. One fourth of a mile. Ricky said that if a break was needed, to walk back to the water, take a break and then return to the exact spot you last burpeed (not really a word, but I like it). I asked how big the step could be. He replied as big as I could. Good answer. I burpeed my way around the track (of course, Ricky was way ahead…faster burpees + longer legs), didn’t need a break and though it was hard and took a long time, it wasn’t the impossible feat that I thought it was. I’m going to stop staying, “I can’t.” Lesson learned. Ricky was feeling good after the workout and wanted to run 1/2 a mile. He did that while I jogged slowly. I was still feeling those eggs a little.

We started a little before 8:30am and I got back in my car at 12:57pm. Racing with Death is not a bad way to spend a Sunday.


-I biked 25 miles with Mike. It felt good to be back on my bike after a long season indoors on the RealRyders. Next Saturday is 30 miles.

-Ricky, Laurel, Dawn, Chris, Mike, Jerritt and I met to discuss travel arrangements for the Death Race. We got our dates set, figured out how many vehicles we would need and what kind of list of supplies we need to start compiling. Oh, and Ricky and I were drilled about what kinds of injuries we were to be pulled for and what kind of life-saving measures we wanted in the event of death. I declined to be pulled for a broken arm unless the bone was sticking out of my skin. Ricky confirmed likewise.

-Ricky and I then went over to Laurel’s to practice diving in her pool. If you remember, I was unable to retrieve any of my rocks out of the deep end of the pool at Laurel’s previous Death Race workout. The problem wasn’t that I didn’t think I could get down there, but when I got most of the way, I started to panic that I wouldn’t make it back up and turned before retrieving my rock. So, I started out in the shallower end and progressively got deeper and deeper until I hit a wall. Ricky helped me out with my technique at this point, saying that if I pushed off the bottom with my feet, that I wouldn’t have a problem getting back up. Before knowing this, I had been reaching out with my arm before reaching the bottom, flipping around without enough leverage to push off and struggling to get back to the surface. With this new trick in hand, I was able to take my time getting down and pop back up, no problem. I successfully retrieved my rock from the deepest area several times and now feel comfortable that I can get a bag of legos or pennies out of a pond at the Death Race. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the water was cold. Very cold.

-Once I got home, I found out that Dawn had reserved the van and hotel and we talked plane tickets and got those purchased. That’s a lot of boxes checked off the to-do list and now I feel extremely pressured to finish this crazy race with all the money and man-power that is being put into it.


Ricky and I met to run 18 miles on the trails. The original plan was 20 miles, but after 18, we were both feeling it. My knees were getting sore and my lower back was seizing up. We got back to the cars after 18 and talked about doing another 2. I said that I could do another 2 but my legs wouldn’t be happy about it. We walked a little and stretched a lot and called it a day.


About Megan

I live and work with dogs in Tallahassee, Fl. My loves are in this order: 1. Dogs 2. Food 3. Coffee 4. Endurance Sports
This entry was posted in Death Race and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Stairs, Eggs and Burpees, Oh My!

  1. anonymous says:

    “people talk too much”

    “hgmmgmgmm they should eat more!”

    so. freaking. good.

  2. dawn says:

    burpees after eggs? oh my holy heck. o’malley….urp.

Got something to say? Say it! I LOVE comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s